Sunday, March 11, 2018

Album Review: Young Fathers- Cocoa Sugar


Cocoa Sugar doesn’t bump in my whip.  It doesn’t do much through my headphones either.  Young Fathers’ new release is among my most highly anticipated albums of 2018.  I don’t like it.  The Scottish group downplays hip-hop elements on its third album in favor of precious indie-rock embellishments.  I once rejected the frequent comparisons to TV On the Radio that hounded the Scottish trio, but the correlation is obvious on Cocoa Sugar.  (Caveat: I reserve the right to change my mind.)


---
I reviewed a concert by the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra at Plastic Sax.

---
Valee’s 14-minute Good Job, You Found Me is pure evil.  The lyrics are reprehensible and the flow is derivative.  So why can’t I stop listening?  It’s the beats, stupid.  Pusha T pops off on “Miami”.

---
Nubya Garcia’s new single “When We Are” has me on #teamnubya.  RIYL: Courtney Pine, optimism, Eddie Moore & the Outer Circle.

---
Automata 1, Between the Buried and Me’s latest riff-tastic effort, surpasses the recent work of Mastodon.  Here’s “Millions”.

---
I’m struggling to hear what the cool kids find so captivating about Soccer Mommy’s Clean.  RIYL: Blake Babies, retreads, Liz Phair.  Here’s “Your Dog”.

---
Henry Cow lives!  The kids in the British jazz group Dinosaur made a wacky music video that evokes the forgotten experimental rock ensemble.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: