Thursday, January 12, 2017

Hale Mary


Either I’m suffering from a severe case of Stockholm syndrome or a band I once loathed has dramatically improved.  Halestorm’s 2009 breakout hit “I Get Off” turned my stomach at the time.  The first few of the six or seven times I worked their concerts were dismal experiences.  Things have changed.  Not only would I now gladly purchase a ticket to a Halestorm concert with my own money, I’ve been listening to the group’s new covers EP for pleasure.  Whitesnake never sounded so good.  (Send help.)


---
I touted Lincoln Marshall on KCUR this week.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I documented my visit to a cocktail lounge on the Plaza at Plastic Sax.

---
Nat Hentoff has died.

---
I’m glad No Plan exists, but most of the new David Bowie EP isn’t nearly as good as Blackstar.

---
Renée Fleming's Distant Light is a lovely adventure.

---
Dale Watson and Ray Benson’s new duet album is charming.  RIYL: Willie Nelson’s countless duet albums, old coots, Texas.

---
Spotify’s bots earned their keep when they tipped me to Courtney Marie Andrews’ Honest Life.  RIYL: Iris Dement, The Last Waltz, Mimi Fariña.

---
Robert Glasper is featured in what may be the  best episode of “What’s In My Bag?”

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: