Sunday, June 05, 2016

Album Review: Volbeat- Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie


The boy can’t help it.  I just can’t get enough of Volbeat’s Seal the Deal & Let’s Boogie.  The Danish band’s sixth studio album gives me the same sort of cheap thrills I get from big dumb rock albums ranging from ZZ Top’s Tres Hombres and Def Leppard’s Hysteria.  It’s as unchallenging as it is gratifying.  ”The Bliss” is representative of the simple-minded fun.


---
I reviewed Roy Ayers’ appearance at the Blue Room.

---
I discussed the Kansas City jazz guitarist Matt Hopper on KCUR.

---
I analyzed M83’s concert at the Midland.

---
I reviewed the incongruous triple-bill of Barenaked Ladies, OMD and Howard Jones.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I put my faith in Cheptoo Kositany-Buckner of the American Jazz Museum in an essay at Plastic Sax.

---
I examined the work of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in an extended preview of the duo’s return to Kansas City.

---
Dave Swarbrick has died.

---
The Kansas City rock band the Philistines made a video for ”A Twitch of the Death Nerve”.

---
The Kansas City duo Tidy Hippy has a video for ”French American Spanish Whatever.

---
William Bell’s This Is Where I Live is a nice late-career statement by the soul veteran.  RIYL: Solomon Burke, made in the U.S.A., Charlie Rich.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: