Monday, February 29, 2016

Album Review: BJ the Chicago Kid- In My Mind


Some of the people who share my enthusiasm for Frank Ocean whine about the absence of a follow-up to his 2012 masterpiece Channel Orange.  I have better things to do.  Appreciating good-to-great albums by male R&B artists including Avant, Babyface, Bilal, D’Angelo, D.R.A.M., José James, Jodeci, R. Kelly, Miguel and the Weeknd has kept me busy during the past three years.  Add BJ the Chicago Kid to that list.  In My Mind doesn't achieve the heights of Channel Orange, but even the album's weakest tracks are enjoyable Keith Sweat, Prince and D’Angelo knockoffs.  Frank should feel free to take his time.  I’ll be in ”Church”.


---
I reviewed Dwight Yoakam’s sold-out concert at the Uptown Theater.

---
I featured Fullbloods on KCUR’s Local Listen.

---
I wrote an extended concert preview about Wavves.

---
The album release show for Be/Non’s Mystic Sunrise/Sunset Magic at the Scottish Rite Temple was mind-blowing. 

---
Much of Your Friend’s Gumption resembles the vacillating sounds I heard when I suffered from night terrors as a child.

---
There’s nothing I don’t like about the song and the video for Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal’s ”Parts of Man”.  RIYL: Lee Fields, not-so-silly love songs, Percy Sledge.

---
Ed Motta’s delightfully odd Perpetual Gateways is RIYL: Steely Dan, LA session cats of the 1980s, Gregory Porter.

---
I embraced GoGo Penguin’s 2014 album, but the British group’s debut on Blue Note Records is overly chilly.  Here’s ”Res”.

---
Cian Nugent’s Night Fiction is RIYL: Sandy Bull, spacing out, the Autumn Defense.

---
Rogue Waves,  five remixes of a single Miguel song, is incredibly impressive.

---
Wolfmother’s Victorious is big, dumb rawk, and Leslie West help me, I like it.  RIYL: Mountain, 1972, Billy Squier.

---
Brian McKnight’s sappy Better makes me happy.

---
We Like It Like That, a new documentary about Latin boogaloo, looks like my kind of movie.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

Sandy Bull didn't space out? I sure did space out to him when I used to get stoned.

your pal,

bgo