Monday, October 26, 2015

Album Review: Roots Magic- Hoodoo Blues


I’ve spent the majority of my life under the impression that I’m the only person on the planet who considers Henry Threadgill’s ”I Can’t Wait Till I Get Home” to be one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 20th century.  I resigned myself to the lonely life of an isolated avant-garde jazz weirdo enthusiast years ago.  A trip to Italy might be in order.  Roots Magic is an Italian quartet that specializes in loving recreations of classic left-of-center American jazz compositions, including Threadgill’s “I Can’t Wait ‘Til I Get Home.”  How does that even happen?  Hoodoo Blues restores my zeal for life on Earth.


---
I wrote an extended preview for Run the Jewels’ concert.  Alas, the show disappointed me.  Here’s my review.

---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink.

---
A feature about Ron Carlson is among the recent Local Listen segments I’ve contributed to KCUR.

---
Last week’s John Gross concert was not exactly what I had in mind.

---
Duncan Burnett & the Ministry created a video for ”Junkies”.

---
Strange Music released a video for Ces Cru’s ”Letterman”.

---
The Xtraordinair$ made a video for ”Best Me”.

---
Brian Berg has died.  I was a big fan of his roots-rock band 44 Long in the late 1990s.

---
Mark Murphy has died.  I vaguely recall seeing the vocalist perform at a short-lived venue on Southwest Boulevard in the 1990s.

---
Cory Wells of Three Dog Knight has died.

---
The lineup of the 2016 edition of the Big EarsFestival is extremely impressive.

---
Vivian Green’s Vivid is disappointingly dull.  RIYL: Marsha Ambrosius, adult R&B, Anthony Hamilton.  Here’s ”Gets Right Back to My Baby”.

---
I saw Noah Preminger perform at the 55 Bar in New York seven months ago.  (My review.)  Not surprisingly, the saxophonist’s new album Pivot: Live at the 55 Bar sounds a lot like what I heard.  RIYL: late Coltrane, fury, Archie Shepp.

---
I’m charmed by the Suffers’ Make Some Room.  RIYL: Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Houston, the Diplomats of Solid Sound.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: