Monday, August 24, 2015

Silent Movies Make More Money


I bought a $15 ticket to be a part of the in-crowd at Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear’s joyous concert at the Midland theater last week.  The audience of 1,500 was the biggest I’ve seen for any single locally based artist in the past three years aside from Tech N9ne, the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra, Joyce DiDonato or the Kansas City Symphony.  Here’s Tim Finn’s review.


---
I reviewed last night’s Incubus, Deftones, Death From Above 1979 and the Bots concert.

---
I reviewed Radkey’s Dark Black Makeup for KCUR.

---
I contributed a Local Listen segment about Samantha Fish to KCUR.

---
I play the role of Debbie Downer at the Charlie Parker Celebration.

---
Even with the lousy sound on some of the later stuff, Miles Davis At Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 serves as a spectacular survey of jazz history.

---
Nicholas Payton plays a lot of keyboards on the engaging Letters.  RIYL: Kamasi Washington, grooving, Stanley Cowell.

---
I can’t decide if Tunde Olaniran’s Transgressor sounds more like an indie-rock version of Beyoncé or a pop version of TV On the Radio.  I also can’t decide if I like it.

---
Omar Souleyman’s Bahdeni Nami is my kind of party.

---
The Foreign Exchange’s Tales From the Land of Milk and Honey is RIYL: Soul II Soul, grown-and-sexy music, Bobbi Humphrey.  Here’s the video for the somewhat unrepresentative “Asking For a Friend.” 

---
Oleta Adams, Chaka Khan and Nancy Wilson are among the guest vocalists on Terri Lyne Carrington’s The Mosaic Project: Love and Soul.   Here’s the EPK.

---
I listened to Luke Bryan’s new album.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: