Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Album Review: Janelle Monáe- The Electric Lady


I'm among the dozens of people in my circle of acquaintances who are actively cheering for Janelle Monáe.  Professional music critics, hometown boosters and multi-generational members of the There Stands the Glass compound are among the people hoping that the Wyandotte County native becomes the Prince of the new millennium.   

Her potential is tantalizing.  Monáe was riveting both times I've seen her perform.  But her recordings haven't matched her ambition.  To be blunt, Metropolis: Suite One (The Chase) and The ArchAndroid are kind of whack.  I had hoped that with The Electric Lady, released today, Monáe would finally realize her obvious greatness.  Alas, it's not the one. 

The project seems like three different albums.  There's solid funk and R&B, trifling pop and a few eccentric oddities that advance the album's science fiction theme.

The good stuff is really good.  Prince passes the torch to Monáe on the solid "Give 'em What They Love."  And to borrow a phrase from one of my favorite music critics, the single "Q.U.E.E.N." bumps in my whip.  Monáe resembles a true funkateer on title track. The ballad "Primetime" is what I've always wanted to hear from Alicia Keys.

Several songs exude a heavy 1970s vibe.  Monáe goes hard on the old-school R&B of "Ghetto Woman."  The excellent "Victory" sounds so much like Teena Marie that I have to assume it's a deliberate tribute to the late star.  "Can't Live Without Your Love" is a delectable love song.  "Sally Ride" is the only one of three or four James Bond-inspired songs that click with me.

Then there's the failed pop experiments.  The post-Chic disco of "We Were Rock & Roll" could be a Bruno Mars outtake.  Transforming Juicy J's "Bandz a Make Her Dance" into a song of empowerment is a cool idea, but the oppressively cheery jangle of "Dance Apocalyptic" is annoying.  It's one of several tracks that seem tailored to the Fueled By Ramen audience.   The album closer "What An Experience" reminds me of a Sean Kingston ditty.

While it has plenty of convincing moments, The Electric Lady simply isn't the new Dirty Mind, Controversy or 1999.  I reserve the right to revise my opinion after I witness people reacting to the album in a public setting and after I catch Monáe's concert at the Uptown Theater in November.  Until then, I'll be the guy with "Q.U.E.E.N." on repeat.


---
I reviewed Johnny Mathis' appearance at the Muriel Kauffman Theatre on Friday and Iron Maiden's show at the Sprint Center on Saturday.

---
Lisa Henry's performance Thursday at Kansas City Kansas Community College impressed me.

---
John "Juke" Logan has died.

---
The Grisly Hand made a music video for "That's Not Affection".

---
Approach's Vanilla Brass was posted to Bandcamp on September 5.  RIYL: Mac Lethal, Doomtree, AWOL One.

---
Lennon Bone's new EP is titled Call It a Custom.  RIYL: Ha Ha Tonka, the Whigs, Blitzen Trapper.

---
Breakfast With Doctor Gonzo, the latest release by Steddy P and DJ Mahf, was released on Tuesday.

---
Here's a vlog by the Mills Record Co.

---
You can't un-hear Lizzo's "Batches & Cookies".  RIYL: Lazerbeak, Lil Mama, Sister Carol. 

---
Gummy Soul remixed Souls of Mischief's album 93 'til Infinity.

---
Paul McCartney's "New" put a spell on me.

---
ECM provides a sample of Trios, the new album from Carla Bley, Andy Sheppard and Steve Swallow.

---
It took me two days to fight my way through Hesitation Marks, the new album from Nine Inch Nails.  I thought it'd never end.  The horns are cool, though.

---
Sketches of Ethiopia isn't my favorite Mulatu Astatke album.  Even so, it's wonderful. RIYL: Duke Ellington, life, James Brown.

---
"Hi! My name is…"

---
The video for Oddarrang's "Self Portrait" makes me wonder if Explosions In the Sky-style impressionism represents the commercial salvation of jazz.

---
Roberto Fonseca's Yo was released in Europe last year but wasn't issued here until August 28.  RIYL: Irakere, Gonalo Rubalcaba, Edmar Castaneda.

---
Bombino's Tiny Desk Concert doesn't really work for me.

---
I'm living for Fito Olivares' return to Kansas City on Sunday, September 15.

---
After giving Janelle Monáe a few more tries, I'll listen to the latest releases by Ralph Alessi, Arctic Monkeys, Carla Bley, Body/Head, Ry Cooder, Earth, Wind & Fire, Samantha Fish, Steep Canyon Rangers, Bryn Terfel, Trombone Shorty, 2 Chainz, J Roddy Walston & the Business, Jimmy Webb, The Weeknd and- heaven help me- the Prog Collective.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

bigsteveno said...

I had no idea there was a new Mulatu Astatke album. Thanks for the tip.

I'm totally in favor of Janelle Monae in theory, and I've liked her when I've seen her on tv, but the last thing I want to read in a review is "three or four James Bond-inspired songs."

Happy In Bag said...

I appreciate your choice of words, Steve. Most of the rave reviews of The Electric Lady focus on the theoretical implications of the artist rather than on her inconsistent music.

There's nothing wrong with Bruno Mars, Sean Kingston or Fueled By Ramen, but I expect a lot more of JM.

bgo said...

One day JM will truly inspire your jaded ears, HIB. The tap water in NE KCK is time released in its magic. She's young and in it for the long haul. Did you see her on Letterman the other night? Now that was an active bit of rebellion I thought.
Miley who?