Friday, August 02, 2013

Album Review- Daora: Underground Sounds of Urban Brasil


Brazil Classics 1: Beleza Tropical changed my life 23 years ago.  I had been only vaguely aware of Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso prior to purchasing the David Byrne-curated CD.  Hearing a handful of their most accessible songs on a single set opened my ears to a universe of sounds.  I feel much the same way about the new compilation Daora: Underground Sounds of Urban Brasil.  The lengthy album contains contemporary hip-hop, funk, post-MPB, indie rock, Afrobeat and reggae of Brasil.  About a third of it is astoundingly great.  Having only been aware of a handful of the featured artists, I've embarked on a delightful new journey of discovery.

---
I reviewed Tuesday's concert by the Postal Service and Mates of State.

---
Kerry Strayer, a major player on Kansas City's jazz scene, has died.

---
Serj Tankian sings the hook on Tech N9ne's "Straight Out the Gate".

---
Numero Group is reissuing material recorded for Kansas City's Forte label.

---
Minden's video for "What's More Than Appropriate?" transfixed me.  The Way Back's video for "Terrified" is less ambitious.

---
I tried to get into F**k Buttons, but all I hear is a stylish version of Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

---
Homebodies will be able to watch live streams of this weekend's Lollapalooza, Pickathon and Newport Jazz festivals.

---
"I'm up against brass cleaning!"  Footage of Action Bronson's appearance at an old folk's home makes me smile.

---
Ole Smokey's remixes of classic rock, funk, jazz and pop tracks are a hoot. 

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: