Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bebo Valdés, 1918-2013


Bebo Valdés died yesterday in his adopted home of Stockholm.  The native Cuban had quite a life.  I've enjoyed Bebo Rides Again since its release in 1995.  The crystalline sound quality continues to astound me.  Yet I've come to prefer his scratchy pre-revolution recordings from the 1950s.  Hearing the life-affirming stuff causes me to wonder why I bother listening to anything else.


---
I reviewed Jimmy Webb's outing at Knuckleheads last night.

---
Jeneé Osterheldt wrote an excellent column about Ces Cru.

---
Tim Finn tracked Radkey's activities at SXSW.

---
The members of the Architects are soliciting funds for a forthcoming project.

---
KJHK documented a performance by CS Luxem.

---
Does anyone else remember spending hour after hour listening to bootlegs of Prince outtakes in the 1990s?  I'd forgotten about that frustrating exercise until I spent time with Inc.'s No World.

---
Philip Glass shreds.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: