Friday, February 15, 2013

I'll Spot You

My lifelong dream has been fulfilled.  Thanks to a new phone that works almost seamlessly with a streaming music service, I enjoy instant access to a significant portion of the world's recordings from any location.  By paying Spotify $9.99 a month, I can listen to Thelonious Himself at the dentist's office.  Rihanna is there for me on the treadmill.  Rocket To Russia makes standing in line at the post office more bearable.  I can take a midnight stroll with Igor Stravinsky.

It's a far cry from the years I in which I made a weekly trip to one or two record stores to spend all the money I could spare- usually just $10 or $20- on a handful of albums. 

A friend characterizes Spotify as an updated version of Napster.  And to be sure, Spotify's interface isn't appealing.  Unlike my friend's allegiance to the social aspects of the competing streaming service Rdio, using Spotify is a solitary affair.  Yet in spite of glaring holdouts like the majority of the ECM Records catalog, I'm attracted to Spotify's superior selection. 

I'm using Spotify's playlist feature to track my favorite music of 2013.  I've already listened to 39 new albums in their entirety.  My favorites are listed in order here.  A list of my favorite songs of 2013 is here.


---
John Medeski overthinks his forthcoming solo piano album.

---
The surviving members of Big Boys reflect on their careers and the evolution of American punk.

---
Who's in for Rocklahoma?  (It's only 234 miles from KC…)

---
Neither his charisma nor Earl can salvage Tyler, the Creator's disappointing new "Domo 23".

---
Erik Voeks puts a Lindsay Buckingham-esque spin on Bad Company Blue Oyster Cult's "Burnin' For You".

---
 2 Chainz!

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Andy Lester said...

"Burnin' For You" is Blue Oyster Cult, not Bad Company.

Happy In Bag said...

Doh! Thanks, Andy!