Thursday, December 06, 2012

Dave Brubeck, 1920-2012


Oh, so now everyone's a jazz fan?  That was my initial reaction upon seeing my social media feed light up with acknowledgements of Dave Brubeck's death yesterday.  Then I corrected myself.  The instant tributes from rockers, hip hop heads and people who I didn't even know cared about music were were entirely genuine.  Everybody, it turns out, loved Dave Brubeck.  He was a generous man and a groundbreaking musician.  And he had actual hits!  While I love the popular stuff, I'm particularly partial to 1975: The Duets: Originals, the sublime album pictured above.  Here's a solo version of "Summer Song" from the same era.  One last note- when I saw Chris and Dan Brubeck perform in January, they exhibited the same sort of warmth and humility associated with their father.  That's the highest praise I can offer the great man.  


---
Steve Paul surveys the Grammy nominations accorded to Joyce DiDonato (and the Kansas City Symphony by association), the Kansas City Chorale, Pat Metheny and Janelle Monáe (via Fun's "We Are Young).

---
"Go Jesus, it's your birthday!"  "Crustified Christmas" by R.A. the Rugged Man and Mac Lethal is hilariously sacrilegious. 

---
Earl misses his dad.

---
"F**kin' Problems", a collaboration between A$AP Rocky, 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar and Rhymes-with-Snake, is an abomination.

---
Jel & Odd Nosdam's free Geti Beats, Vol. 1 is RIYL hip hop circa 1983, Anticon, Stones Throw.

---
I usually don't care for hectoring, but dang, Brother Ali's scathing "Only Life I Know" is powerful.

---
Additional year-end discoveries inspired by best-of lists:
  • Delicate Steve's Positive Force reminds me of a gauzy George Harrison album.
  • I'd heard a few tracks by Tame Impala's Lonerism but I finally gave it a serious listen last night.  Don't tell the cool kids that Tame Impala is merely updating this.  (And I like it.)
  • I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that Ann Powers turned me on to Kacey Musgraves' "Merry Go 'Round" via All Songs Considered.  Great song. 

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

billy budapest said...

That's wild! I noticed this great Kacey Musgraves track too, despite my ongoing skepticism about anything Ann Powers might suggest. This proves the adage about a broken clock, I suppose!

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks for checking in, BB.