Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review: The Fresh and Onlys- Long Slow Dance


I regularly nicked 200 as one of the stars of my bowling league when I was ten years old.  Those glory days only come to mind when I drive past bowling alleys in the rain.  Just as I no longer bowl, I rarely think about the old Let's Active, Windbreakers and Lloyd Cole & the Commotions vinyl that's gathering dust in my basement.  My dormant love of '80s jangle pop requires a unique combination of esoteric stimuli to be rekindled.

Already burdened by an agonizing personal problem, I happened to stumble across The Fresh & Onlys' expertly wistful Long Slow Dance a few days ago.   Waves of repressed memories came flooding back. 

The first five tracks- including the excellent "Presence of Mind"- force me to recall everything about my life in 1986.  The remainder of the album contains a few twists that break the spell.  "Fire Alarm" throws an Ultravox-style synth into the mix while "Euphoria" brings Joy Division to mind.

Thanks for the trip, the Fresh & Onlys.  Yet because indulging in nostalgic reveries feels sinful to me, I won't spend any more time in the comforting arms of Long Slow Dance.


---
My five favorite acts at Saturday's Rhythm & Ribs Jazz and Blues Festival?  Thanks for asking.  They are Brian McKnight, the McFadden Brothers, Linda Shell & the Blues Thang, the Charles Perkins and Gerald Spaits Quartet and Joe Louis Walker.  Here's my review.

---
Here's the video for Super Black Market's "Dancing Drunk.  (Via Back to Rockville.)

---
Matt Bauer's cover of Prince's "Under the Cherry Moon" is worth a listen.

---
I just found out about Lindi Ortega.  The roots rocker is the opening act on Social D's new tour.

---
It should come as no surprise to readers of There Stands the Glass that Anthony Hamilton's "Pray For Me" is one of my favorite singles of 2012.

---
No.

---
Kansas City Click: ZZ Top return to the Midland Theater on Tuesday.

The Riot Room hosts the Hudson Falcons on Wednesday.

Rob Scheps' Kansas City band plays at Take Five Coffee on Thursday.

The legendary Vicente Fernandez performs in Kansas City for the final time Friday at the Sprint Center.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: