Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Review: Maria and Tatiana Ioudenitch at the Carlsen Center























After spending thirteen glorious but draining hours at the Sprint Center and the Middle of the Map festival during the weekend, I knew I needed to get back on the horse immediately. A recital by Maria and Tatiana Ioudenitch at Johnson County Community College on Monday represented more than a mere sonic palette cleanser. The pair are members of Kansas City's most elite musical family.

Pianist Tatiana and violinist Maria are the wife and daughter of Stanislav Ioudenitch. Neither addressed the audience of about 75 during their 45-minute recital and I'm not about to skulk around on the internet trying to ascertain Maria's age. She's probably about 17.

Aside from a few minor slips, Maria's recital was extremely impressive. Her astonishing agility shone on pieces by Bach, Brahms and Gluck, but it was her energetic commitment to Sarasate's "Zigeunerweisen" that made me think that she might be in this for the long run.

I have no idea what it takes to become the next Hilary Hahn. Furthermore, I have no idea if Maria harbors such ambitions. Should it come to that, however, this post will serve as my "I saw her when" boast.


---
I was nonplussed when I first saw Lady Antebellum in 2010. Yet the trio was undeniably excellent Friday at Sprint Center. Here's my review.

---
My notes on day three of the Middle of the Map festival focus on the bands featured at the RecordBar.

---
Mission of Burma's set was the most exciting thing I heard all weekend. Here's footage.

---
Barney McKenna, the self-described "flounder" of the Dubliners, has died. I saw him with the band last month at Royal Albert Hall.

---
If I could listen to the music of only one artist for the rest of my life, I might select Caetano Veloso.

---
Here's Miles Bonny's new project.

---
The Kansas City Symphony's video about the Joyce DiDonato master class I attended a couple weeks ago at Helzberg Hall is charming. (Via KC Stage blog.)

---
The Creep, Ted Nash's new album, is highly recommended to fans of Ornette Coleman, David Murray and Henry Threadgill.

---
Kansas City Click: The Westport Art Ensemble return to the Westport Coffee House on Tuesday.

Trouser Mouse hosts Chris Duarte on Wednesday.

Mountain Sprout perform Thursday at the Riot Room.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: