Friday, September 02, 2011

Review: Danny Brown- XXX

















YouTube stream of Danny Brown's "30"

I have no business listening to XXX, the free new mixtape by Detroit-based rapper Danny Brown. I go to midday parades in the suburbs. Instead of plotting to "Die Like a Rock Star" while abusing Adderall, I think about the 2012 elections as I mow my lawn. Even so, my love of XXX isn't based on vicarious thrills. I respect Danny Brown's intelligence, humor and honesty. "I ain't never had sh*t- zilch, zero, none," he confesses as he calls out duplicitous rappers on "Lie4." And his music is great. XXX's grimy sound is what I liked about early Dizzee Rascal. He tellingly references Kool Keith on "Outer Space." His "anti-clean rap" is everything I wanted but didn't get out of Tyler the Creator's Goblin. XXX is messed up. And I can relate.

---
Danny Brown is one of the opening acts on Das Racist's current tour.

---
The Tedeschi Trucks Band sneaked up on me. Its show last night was one of my favorites of 2011. Here's my review.

---
Wait… Meg of Meg & Dia was a contestant on the reality show The Voice? Why didn't I hear about this until after the fact?

---
KCRW offers a stream of My Morning Jacket performing Orbital. Big thumbs up.

---
I'd been sleeping on "Ghetto Dreams", the new Common and Nas collaboration.

---
Kansas City Click: The great Marty Stuart is at Santa-Cali-Gon Days on Friday.

KC Irish Fest runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Ledesi is Sunday's headliner at the VooDoo Lounge.

The Kansas City Symphony offers a free concert Sunday at Shawnee Mission Park.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

mike t. said...

hap... i'm of the opinion you're probably not a glen campbell fan other than perhaps having a respect for his talent. but you ought to check out his new release "Ghost on the Canvas." i'm finding it an amazing work. - mike

Happy In Bag said...

I'm pretty sure that Glen Campbell albums were stacked on the family turntable as I sucked on a bottle in my baby crib. I'm a big fan of Glen circa 67-77. I'll check out his new one as soon as I get over my Danny Brown fixation.